Friday, January 25, 2013

The Importance of Ritual and Permanent Memorialization


By: Shane Ritchie, CFSP
     
            A few years ago I arranged a direct cremation for a gentleman whose children were in charge of his disposition. I would estimate that his three children were all in their twenties. It was obvious that this was all new to them.

“Dad was a free spirit; he wouldn’t want a public ceremony or any ceremony at all for that matter. We just want to scatter his ashes on the beach.”

OK. Fair enough. But what about a permanent place of memorialization?

“Why would we need that? We remember dad for who he was. We don’t need a stone in a cemetery to remember our dad.”

During our conversation I began to notice a lot of “we” and “I” entering the discussion so I inquired about dad’s friends, grandchildren, future generations who might want to know about their roots. The blank looks on the faces around me told the story. They had never even given any thought to matters like that. The fact that funerals (and anything associated with them) make people feel uncomfortable often seems to be their justification to re-invent the ritual, trying to turn it into something that is more pleasant and/or efficient (though not necessarily effective), or worse yet, dispensing with it altogether.

One of my hobbies is genealogy. Tracing my ancestry gives me a sense of continuity and adds meaning to my life. Visiting the graves of my kinsman is a spiritual journey for me. When there is no permanent memorial, a person eventually just ceases to exist. A wise man once said “Memorials are stepping stones to the past and to the future; they link the generations.”

            As a funeral director, I feel that a major part of my job is educating the public about such things as the importance of ritual and memorialization through ceremony and monuments. There is a reason that humans have held funeral rituals and practiced permanent memorialization since the beginning of time. I believe that we all have an innate, God given need to honor and memorialize the dead. By sidestepping this need we are doing a disservice to our emotional well-being and to future generations.

            For a free booklet on arranging meaningful funerals, call us here at Beard Mortuary at 304-522-8253. Visit us online at www.beardmortuary.com and www.facebook.com/beardmortuarywv